Apply for a Seller account
Quality work and fair pricing are critical to the success of all our sellers, and of the Sketchfab Store as a whole. In order to become a seller, we will review your portfolio to see if it meets the following criteria:
- You should already have a Sketchfab account with at least 10 models.
- All models, textures, and/or animations are your original property.
- Work is modeled to an acceptable industry standard in keeping with other sellers in the store.
- Thumbnails, titles, and descriptions accurately reflect the items for sale.
- Models are accurately UV mapped when UVs are used.
- Clean topology is employed.
- Textures (when used) and materials are optimized and efficient.
- Models specifically sold for 3D printing are water-tight and appropriately constructed.
Link your PayPal account
Once your Seller application has been approved, you can link your PayPal account to your Sketchfab account. (We hope to offer alternative payment services in the future.)
You can connect your PayPal account by clicking the "Link" button under your Account Settings.
There are two ways to connect your PayPal account to Sketchfab: Personal or Business.
After clicking the "Link your PayPal Account" button in Account Settings, you should check the option for "Casual Seller".
Since Sketchfab is working with PayPal for Marketplaces, you'll notice a PayPal Business account is available. This is a free PayPal upgrade with no additional fees.
You can use this account type as an individual instead of a registered business too. We recommend the following settings – "Individual", "Entertainment and media", "Digital media, books, movies, music" – this will require no more business records, VAT information, etc.
Make sure to check both boxes during the linking process, agreeing to PayPal's User Agreement as well as giving the proper permissions to Sketchfab. This is required for the link to be successful.
You may see "Waiting for PayPal verification" in your Account Settings. You should receive an email from Sketchfab shortly after that (anywhere from several minutes to more than an hour), verifying your PayPal Business account is verified and linked.
Set up your Store
While your PayPal verification is pending, you can begin to officially setup your Store. To get started:
- On the model page, set the Download option to Paid.
- Decide on a price (see our Seller Guidelines for tips on this). Keep in mind, the minimum price per model is $3.99 USD.
- Enter your price (in USD).
We will notify you ahead of time, giving you time to prepare your own marketing and benefit from these campaigns as much as possible.
Sketchfab can on its sole discretion decide to apply a discount on the license fee paid by the buyer. In such a scenario, and unless otherwise stated explicitly by Sketchfab to the contributor, the cost shall apply equally to Sketchfab’s commission and seller’s revenue.
- Select a license type. In most cases, the Standard license should be selected - read more about our licenses here. As a rule of thumb, if a model is your version of another entity's intellectual property, such as fanart, the Editorial license should be chosen.
- (Optional) Upload an additional files archive. The maximum additional file size altogether is 500MB and it can contain items like additional hi-res texture maps, additional file formats, model resolutions, "Read Me" documents, etc.
- Save changes to the model's settings and the model will be added to the Sketchfab Store.
Additional tips for selling
In addition to pricing, you'll want to pay attention to the following:
- Write a clear model title and model description. Think about how people might search for your content and be sure to use such search keywords in your text. Use the model description to clearly state the best use case for your work. For example, "Watertight, suitable for 3D printing." Or, "Rigged for facial animation in game engines." The description is also a great place to provide further information on any additional files you have packaged with your model. Note: We automatically pull some information from your uploaded ZIP.
- Remove any links to other marketplaces from your model description.
- Carefully select your categories. Read our Category Guidelines to learn about their intended use and use them conservatively. Ideally, you should use no more than two categories although exceptions are allowed. We do not condone "category spamming" (selecting unrelated categories to make your work more visible). Use tags to further specify the product you're offering.
- Simple solid color backgrounds will allow potential buyers to more clearly see your work, particularly when browsing through multiple search results. We recommend light to medium gray.
- Promote your work! For best results, don't rely only on the organic traffic from our platform, but market your products elsewhere too. Don't forget you can share and embed Sketchfab models almost anywhere.
Your models for sale will be available in the Sketchfab Store as soon as PayPal approves your application. Until that time, they will appear like any other model. Once you make a sale, you will immediately receive your commission.