You can view any 3D model in Virtual Reality using a VR headset (such as the HTC Vive or Oculus Rift) and a compatible browser.
Google Chrome is currently the most reliable browser to use for VR in most circumstances. These instructions are for Chrome on Windows 10.
- Install Steam and SteamVR
- In Chrome/Chromium, go to chrome://flags and set these flags to these values:
- WebXR Device API: Enabled
- Force WebXR Runtime: SteamVR (OpenVR)
- Turn on your device
- HTC Vive: Turn on SteamVR
- Oculus Rift: Allow external apps
- Start VR Mode on any Sketchfab model page.
The web browser you need to use to view models in VR depends on the headset you're using.
Browsers marked by an asterisk (*) should work, but may be less reliable.
|Windows Mixed Reality||
|Oculus Quest||Oculus Browser|
|Windows Mixed Reality||Edge|
While Sketchfab may be accessible in other VR-based devices and apps, not all are properly maintained and compatible. For example, Google Cardboard is no longer maintained and supported for Sketchfab viewer use.
Sketchfab reduces resolution to ensure a frame rate for a good VR experience. If you want to bypass this reduction, particularly in Oculus Quest, you can use these custom parameters at the end of your model's URL:
- 1.5 medium (default)
- 2.5 high
- 3.5 very high